Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Army preview

Following the last week's format, I'll write what I think BC will do and what I think they should do. (If they keep winning, my Sunday Morning quarterbacking is going to look pretty foolish.)


Offense -- what BC will do


After mixing styles last year, Army is reverting to a traditional 4-3 this season. Their attack should be more conventional than BYU's, so look for BC to come out aggressively on the ground. BC can leverage their size advantage and pound the ball over and over. Although they came out passing last week, I think Bible and TOB will use this game to sharpen the running game. L.V. will easily rack up 100 yards and Callender should get close to 10 carries and say 70 yards too.


This may seem arrogant, but I think the staff will prepare and call this game with Florida State in the back of their minds. By establishing the run, BC can plan to enter the Florida State game with a conservative, ball-control attack.

If BC has a big lead, Matt Ryan will get in for a series or two.


Offense -- what I think BC should do


Presumptuous or not, I think BC should prep and play with Florida State on their mind. Instead of perfecting the timing of the running game or giving Ryan some snaps, I think they should work on the deep passing with Porter. Our receivers should have no problem getting separation, so throw them the ball. Don't worry about interceptions or running up the score. Florida State had trouble with their coverage against Miami, so attack. Even if BC goes conservative against FSU, by airing it out against Army, the ‘Noles will plan for the deep ball. Do something to keep FSU guessing going into next week.


One other reason I want to see deep balls is that it will help Porter's confidence. TOB needled him about finally throwing the deep ball… well after two or three sacks in the first quarter next Saturday and he'll be running for his life and never throw it beyond the first down marker. If he connects on a few long passes against Army, he'll enter the Florida State game with the confidence and rhythm he needs.



Defense -- what BC will do


As I said, this past week's gameplan was inventive and effective. I think BC will be less adventurous against Army, but still expect them to mix looks and drop lineman into coverage. Probably less blitzing, as the Cadets won't be passing nearly as often as BYU.


Defense -- what I think BC should do


Forget about creative pass coverage and unorthodox blitzing, I think BC should focus on its tackling and stopping the run. Carlton Jones cannot even be called a poor man's Lorenzo Booker, but he is a competent, experienced back. The last team to challenge us and ran straight at us was Syracuse. We know how that ended. Let's see BC shut down Jones and once again, get the confidence and fundamentals sharp before next week.


Special Teams -- What BC will do


Why do I even bother predicting this unit? I have no idea what they'll try. Look for an all out punt block or five. Maybe a quick kick? I have no idea at this point.


Special Teams -- What I think BC should do


Play the percentages solidly for one game. If the other team is punting, play for the coverage and the return. If you catch the kickoff deep in the end zone, take a knee. When left alone, these guys can do good things (like Toal's block on Sunday). Just be conservative and fundamental. It is not that hard.


Final Prediction


As much as I love to see the service academies play well, I don't think this will be very close. BC played with a lot of confidence last week and I expect them to build on that this week against the Cadets. Another BC win, 34-14.

No comments: