Thursday, September 29, 2005

Blogpoll Roundtable No. 8

Paradigm -- yet another Michigan blogger -- is hosting this week. Michigan fans are lucky to have so many quality bloggers to read. Check out Paradigm for other blogpoll members' responses.

1. We are now 1/3 of the way through the season and things are starting to shake out. With that in mind, who are your picks to win each of the BCS conferences, as well as your choice for an at-large berth from a non-BCS league (none is an option)?


ACC: Va Tech. The safe pick. I think Florida State is very beatable. Miami: still not sure about their offense.

Big Ten: Michigan State. There is a lot of parity in the conference so it could be anyone. I’ll go with the Spartans since they have been one of the more entertaining teams to watch.

Big XII: Texas. If the Longhorns don’t win it this year, Brown will never get it done in Austin.

Big East: West Virginia. A complete joke of a conference and not deserving of a bid.

Pac 10: USC. Until someone shows they can knock them off they are still the champs.

SEC: I’ll go with my preseason pick -- Tennessee. They almost let it slip away Monday, but I think they can run the table in conference from here.

No at-large party crashers this year.


2. What team currently out of the Top 10 (AP or Coach's, doesn't really matter), has the best chance of ending up in the title game?


Texas Tech. I know they haven’t played anyone, but if they go undefeated in the Big XII they will rapidly move up in the polls and should pass the one-loss teams.


3. When you're watching a game, what type of fan can you absolutely not tolerate being around?


Being a know it all, there is nothing that drives me more nuts than the know it all who disagrees with me. I am great with another like-minded know it all. We can talk for hours about how perfect the team would be if we did it our way. The know it all who disagrees with me usually gets my goat and gets me wrapped up in an argument that usually ends with my frustrated “Fine. Whatever.” (Not my best side.)


Bonus: A sizable portion of Michigan fandom is in full meltdown mode (myself especially). Some have chosen to sequester themselves for this weekend's game against MSU to avoid scaring children, causing long-term psychological damage to those in the near vicinity, and most especially to avoid jail (I'm not saying this is me per se). Anyways, we need some help. Give us some ideas for replacements for LLLyd Carr (3 L's for the number of losses per year, and no O this year either). Assistant coaches, head coaches elsewhere, etc. Please, give us something to look forward to.

The fact that Carr is on the hot seat makes me laugh. If Tom O’Brien won a National Championship at BC they might rename the school after him. But I am up for a round of what if. The Michigan job is clearly one of the better and tougher jobs in the sport. I understand if they want to go outside the family and hire a non-Bo guy but there are certain things they should not do. First, no Pac 10ers. I’ve lived in Michigan and California. Two different mindsets and look how OSU did with a Pac 10 guy in Cooper. Also, they should avoid the NFL route. Yes it worked with USC, but look at what Pitt and Nebraska are going through now. I would recommend an up and coming MAC coach, but don’t know any of them well enough to give a solid opinion. So I will say UConn coach Randy Edsall. He has a jerky streak but he has good pedigree. I will begrudgingly admit what he has done at UConn has been impressive.

No comments: