Sunday, October 02, 2005

Shallow Saturday analysis

No TV for BC and a soldout movie on Saturday night gave me the chance to flip around through a lot of college football. Here are my two cents on the bits and pieces I watched.


Virginia Tech looked good. Highlight of the part I watched -- Marcus Vick flipping the bird to the WVU fans.


Virginia and Maryland was a shootout. I am not overlooking either, but I think we can move the ball on both. Hagans made some big plays but also looked sort of spastic at times. I saw him zing some balls behind people or at his receivers' shins. It will be interesting to see what UVA blogger Ian says about him when he guest blogs later in the week.


Michigan State should’ve won that game. They tied it up and then pushed their kick in overtime. The Big Ten is hard to get a handle on. Who is going to win the conference? Wisconsin? Ohio State? Penn State?


Alabama looked impressive. The score doesn’t capture how much they beat up on Florida. I know people are questioning whether or not the spread option will work in the SEC. I think it can as the primary offense. They might need to add a few power wrinkles. Let’s see what Meyer does with his own people. The defense needs work too.


Charlie Weis is going to do some big things at South Bend. Purdue looked overmatched -- and they are a team that has given ND fits the past few years. What is most impressive is that he how he is using some of these guys. Who could have guessed he could turn Samardzija into such a threat. I am still bitter about Dorien Bryant, so it was nice to see Purdue lose.



Tough loss for Vandy. They played from behind most of the game and had a chance at the end. Cutler looked good and was very calm driving the team as time was running out. He did his part. Vandy's special teams did not do theirs.



I only saw a few minutes of the Florida State game but Weatherford looked like a different quarterback. He was really in a groove. Despite the loss, I am glad we played them early. They might run the table.

No comments: