Thursday, May 14, 2009

Official statement from Mark Herzlich and BC

Here is BC's official statement:

BC Linebacker Herzlich Discloses He Is Battling Cancer
Senior linebacker learned of diagnosis this week

Boston College senior linebacker Mark Herzlich disclosed today that he has been diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma, a malignant tumor most often found in bone or soft tissue.

The following is a statement from Herzlich:

“This past week, I got some news nobody wants to hear. After undergoing some tests to determine the cause of some pain I had been experiencing in my leg, I learned that I have Ewing’s Sarcoma.

“Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do.

“I have returned to Pennsylvania to be near my family and to undergo a series of tests that will help my doctors determine the best course of treatment. I will keep you informed about my progress, but for now, I would like to ask for privacy as my family and I make some tough decisions.

“At this point, I do not know what this means for my football future, but I am determined to rid my body of this disease so that I can put that uniform back on. Thank you in advance for your prayers and concern. Together, we will fight this and win.”


The following is a statement from Coach Frank Spaziani:


“We all were stunned when we heard this news. Mark is a member of the BC football family and one of the most recognizable faces on our campus. From the day he stepped foot on our campus, he has been a leader on the field, in the classroom, and in the community.

“When people think of Mark Herzlich, they think of a fearless individual who is always ready to take on a tough opponent. His integrity, determination and focus are unmatched. I know he will face this challenge with that same attitude.

“Our thoughts today are not on football, they are on Mark Herzlich. His health is our only concern, and we will stand beside him every step of the way.”


About Mark Herzlich (6-4, 238, Sr., LB, Wayne, PA):


In 2008, Herzlich was a first-team All-America selection by Rivals.com and Scouts.com and was a member of the AP All-America third team. He was the ACC Defensive Player of the Year and was a finalist for the Butkus Award, presented annually to the nation’s top linebacker, and a quarterfinalist for the Lott Trophy. He led the Eagles with 110 tackles, six interceptions, eight pass break-ups, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

2 comments:

Lally said...

Just want to let the Herlzlich's know that my thoughts - like many other Eagles out there - are with them in this tough time.

We're behind you, Mark.

BCNorCal07 said...

This is terrible news and my thoughts go out to Mark, his family and the entire football team and staff. I hope that he looks to guys like Chris Lofton, or even Joe Martinez, as examples of the courage, will and class he's going to need in the months ahead.

The good news is that Ewing's - though an ugly, aggressive disease - is very treatable and cure rates are good. Get well, Mark. We're all pulling for you.