Sunday, March 04, 2012

Could Skinner end up back at URI?

URI fired Jim Baron and people are already speculating that Al Skinner could be a candidate to replace him. Prior to his time at BC, Skinner coached URI from 1989 to 1997. I love Al Skinner but I don't know if going back to URI is a good idea for him or the Rams.


The challenge in Skinner going back to URI is that there will be higher expectations for him. He led URI during a successful time and they've just fired a semi-successful coach. I think Al would be much better suited to take over a program in the northeast that hasn't had success and doesn't have any familiarity with him.


I actually think URI should consider a Skinner assistant like Pat Duquette. That way you get someone who would implement some of the same Skinner blueprint yet comes to the fanbase with a relative blank slate.


Hopefully Al finds a good job this offseason. I still think he can be successful at the right program.

No comments: