Friday, December 27, 2013

My thoughts on all the BC names floated for the UMass job


No one is asking me, but since the media is leaking a whole bunch of guys with BC-ties to the UMass job, I thought I would weigh in on the opening. The most surprising to me is Blauds promoting Spaz for the job. He mentioned "sources" saying Spaz is interested. My guess on his source is Spaz himself. Spaz even thinking about the UMass job was shocking. Retirement must be miserable if he wants to get back into the coaching game in Amherst. But that doesn't really matter. UMass is not hiring him for a variety of reasons. His age and his record at BC are the biggest factors. But with Spaz a non-factor, who should UMass hire?

A competitive UMass team is good for BC. Added interest in college football in the region is a good thing. Better high school development is a good thing. And a respectable, yet consistently beatable opponent on BC's schedule is always a good thing. I want them to make a good hire. If only so we don't have to keep reading why college football cannot work in Massachusetts.

Mark Whipple and Don Brown are both being mentioned too. I don't know enough about the UMass politics and history to know if they would rehire one of their old coaches. Both seem relatively safe hires and have proven themselves away from UMass. Despite the stats, I would hate to lose Brown now as we would probably have to scrap his system and rebuild one side of the ball again. I don't know where Brown stands, but if he wanted to be the head coach at UMass, would he have ever left years ago?

I have yet to read Jags' name for the job. Once again, I don't know the politics, but doubt UMass would want someone BC fired. I think Jags could do well there. He's never led a true rebuilding project, but I think he could get enough talent out of the northeast and midwest to win in the MAC. I also think he'd build a decent staff (just like he did at BC).

Of all the names, Jack Bicknell Jr. makes the most sense. He had college head coaching experience. He has multiple ties to the region. He now has solid NFL experience to sell to recruits. I know he interviewed there years ago and didn't get the job. They probably should have hired him then and should hire him now. He's a safe hire, can handle the job and doesn't come with any of the baggage that some of the other candidates have.

Bill McGovern interviewed with UMass in the past. He lacks the head coaching experience, but is probably the best recruiter of this bunch. Because of his success as a recruiter, he would probably leave UMass in a better place. However, I doubt he'll get serious interest this time around.

The most intriguing name associated with the search so far is John DeFilippo. To UMass fans he's just a young up and coming coach. To BC fans he'll always be the son of Coach Flip. I've heard that John is a good coach. But I will also never get past all the stuff I also heard about the two Flips assessing and gossiping about the different coaches and position coaches that BC interviewed over the years. It's all second hand information (and probably unfair of me) but I would never want him anywhere near the BC job. UMass can have him.

13 comments:

MilitantEagle said...

"A competitive UMass team is good for BC. "

Not if you have to deal with UMass fans on a regular basis. They are the worst. I would rather see the program implode and drop down to the FCS.

Unknown said...

Quote of the article, "The 2007 BC Eagles, quarterbacked by Matt Ryan, were ranked second in the nation for two weeks. And hardly anybody noticed. Or cared."

Lally said...

Wouldn't Spaz to UMass be good in terms of getting us out of his buyout? It could free up the cash needed for Donahue's buyout...

Big Jack Krack said...

That's a very tough job at which to succeed. Good luck to the next HC.

Big Jack Krack said...

No chatter anywhere on blogs about the Independence Bowl = apathy = low turnout = good chance for a loss, hopefully not a beat down in Shreveport.

Go BC - beat cocky Arizona. Some are predicting a three TD victory for AZ.

bull crap.

blist said...

Very little bowl chatter so far. Any place that's good gathering spot in the financial district in Boston to watch the game?

re. Spaz to UMass: [laughs]

CT said...

My name is Dan. I write short sentences. I re-hash trite issues. Nobody has fired me yet? I don't get it. Boston is a pro sports town. I am breaking news. I am astute. Who forced me to write about college football? That is not smart.

ATL_eagle said...

Jack:

I wouldn't worry about "chatter" with regards to our bowl game. Bowls by their nature don't generate a lot of chatter. There is a long layoff. There is the holidays and there is usually a game against an untraditional opponent. I bet our guys will be ready. Addazio has a lot to prove, but having the guys emotionally focused has yet to be an issue.

eagleboston said...

I'm very concerned about our defense against the talented Arizona rushing attack. We're going to need to score a lot of points to keep up with them and that is just not our game (although it seems when Rettig is allowed to open up, good things happen. See Florida State game). Not sure that our plodding rushing attack is going to work against Arizona.

mmason said...

It's Dec. 28 and there are no viewers or posts on this blog for the beleaguered & hapless BC Basketball Team. Instead we have a blog focused on UMass football! Wow... And we are getting schooled by VCU in Brooklyn and losing our 9th game of the season...about to go to 4-9. 1-13 from 3pt.line so far. Is this the worst BC team season performance in recent history?
Go(for help) Eagles...

Lenny Sienko said...

1 for 14 from 3-point range does not equal an effective Donahue system.

The contrast between Donahue's system and Shaka Smart's system is stark.

BC has now fallen so far behind I've shifted over to radio so I don't have to watch this.



Unknown said...

More of the same from the BC Hoops team - got spanked by VCU tonight. When will the Boston papers pickup on this story and start speculating on Donahue's replacement?

Unknown said...

More of the same from the BC Hoops team - got spanked by VCU tonight. When will the Boston papers pickup on this story and start speculating on Donahue's replacement?